Being able to negotiate well is critical for any project professional. You need to clarify what you hope to gain from negotiating, as well as understand the other side’s objectives to reach a mutually beneficial result. This course provides essential tips on how to prepare for negotiation, including managing emotions and understanding what all parties contribute to the process. You will also learn the difference between positions and interests and how to bargain to generate options to find the win-win. The course provides an opportunity to apply concepts taught to a real-life situation and to practice negotiating in a safe environment.
- Develop the skills necessary for successful negotiation.
- Identify key negotiation concepts and strategies.
- Learn the key elements in preparing for negotiation to help ensure success.
- Develop a BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement) before starting negotiation.
- Identify what we bring to the negotiation table that could get in the way of successful negotiation.
- Generate options to getting to a shared agreement
- Prepare for and practice negotiating in a safe environment
Length and Learning Modes
Live or Virtual Classes; 1 Day; Discounts available for teams and for private offerings.
PDUs: 7 CDUs: 7 CEUs: 7
This course is for anyone who finds themselves needing to improve their negotiating skills in the workplace.
- Negotiation defined
- Negotiation strategies
- 3 Negotiation approaches
- Negotiation Process
Preparing your Negotiation Mindset
- Mental models
- Personal values
- Forms of power
- Managing emotions
- Identifying your personal hot buttons
- Cooling down techniques
Prepare for Negotiation
- Determine if negotiation is your best path
- Determine negotiation goal
- Collect relevant information
- Identify your BATNA
- Identify your interests under your position
- Build an effective environment
- Prepare your opening statements
- Tips to Remember Before you Begin Negotiating
- Present your opening statement
- Exchange information - identify interests
- Bargain and generate options for mutual gain
- Finalize agreement & conclude negotiation
- Overcoming negotiation challenges
- Negotiation planning worksheet
- Negotiation reference